Cabbage Slaw with Tangy Mustard Seed Dressing
- 8 cups presliced green cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mustard and cumin seeds; cook 90 seconds or until mustard seeds begin to pop. Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and jalapeño; let stand 2 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.